Faq.gif (12803 bytes)FAQs Faq.gif (12803 bytes)

...About Audits

Q: I was audited and I disagree with the amount the auditor says I owe. Can I do anything to reduce the amount the IRS claims I owe?

A: There are several actions you can take, of which only a few can be listed here. The most beneficial action will depend upon the facts in your case, but you can:

Request a hearing with the individual auditor's manager.

Assert your right to appeal the auditor's decision.

Pay the disputed amount, and a file a case in court. If you win, you will be reimbursed the money you paid.

File your case in U.S. Tax Court.

...About Collections

Q: I failed to pay my payroll taxes and now the IRS is threatening to close down my business if I don't come up with the money in one week. I don't have the funds. How can I protect my business?

A: By filing a form called "Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order", you can delay enforcement action by the IRS while it reviews your case.

Q: I owe the IRS a substantial amount of money. Just the monthly interest and penalties are more than I can afford to pay. What can I do?

A: You may be eligible for an offer in compromise in which you can settle your debt (including interest and penalties) for pennies on the dollar.